Content from this blog now appears on www.michellerayburn.com

t

Deck Makeover Finale

Earlier this summer, I showed how we took our deck from the front and recycled the wood to build a little back yard retreat. Now, I'm excited to show you the finale of the deck project. We had a hodgepodge of older furniture that was beginning to show signs of rust. Plus, it didn't really match with the brand new bistro set I purchased this summer, so I've been taking my trashy furniture and turning it to treasure.

One of the old chairs.
Dated colors and a rust issue.
 And a table to match...
Plus another table that doesn't match...

So, I took the table apart.


And used a wire brush on the rust.And then I spread everything out in the yard and primed it all with a new Rust-Oleum product called Ultra Cover 2X Coverage. I used a rust-colored primer on everything.
Priming in progress...

While the paint was drying, I decided it was the perfect day to finally get the deck stained. When we re-used the lumber, we turned each board over. There were a few drips from the old stain that showed on the edges and I sanded those off with my palm sander. A few weeks back, I also gave the wood a good cleaning with a commercial deck wash.
Ready for staining.

I gave the wood two coats of semi-transparent oil-based Thompson's WaterSeal Deck and House Stain in the premixed shade of "Sierra Brown". It took less than a gallon to coat it all twice. It soaked up the first coat quickly since the wood is well aged, so I decided it needed the 2nd coat. Now the water beads up nicely when it rains!

While that was drying, I went back to the furniture to give it all a coat of Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover 2X satin spray paint in a brown shade called Espresso. It matched the color of my new brown wicker set. The paint really did coat well and I highly recommend it for your next paint project.



A finished chair on the newly refinished deck. I love the rich color of the wood. I replaced the chair cushion with a new tan one. I forgot to take a before picture of the old cushion. Just imagine 90's hunter green and burgundy stripe.
The table after its makeover.
 
The brand new chair that I'm trying to make everything else fit with.

And now for the reveal....drum-roll please...


The plastic chairs are beige and I left them as they were since they matched the existing umbrella and the plain beige chair pad on the newly painted brown chair.



This has become my back yard retreat. I work with my laptop, read, and just relax. It's my favorite new office! Here's a panoramic view from my favorite chair:

 My husband is still working on resurfacing the steps next to the deck. For that matter, we haven't yet added a second set of steps to the deck, but who cares? I can enjoy it right now. It's quickly becoming the favorite place for parents to wait while I'm giving piano lessons too.

With the 2X Ultra Cover paint, I was able to coat two chairs, the side table, the big table, and a footrest with just three cans and around $11.

I've linked up this project to:
Frugal MomX3 for the Backyard Oasis Link Party

9 comments:

  1. That all looks beautiful!!! Great job! I may have to do that with our icky chairs and table outside!

    Sam
    http://momundecided.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a heads up that this project will be featured on my Lazy Sunday Post! Make sure and stop by to check it out!

    Sam
    Mom.Undecided.
    http://momundecided.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Fantastic job on the painting of the old furniture! And I love the new set you have. Everything looks wonderful. Great job!
    Best regards,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great makeover! I have the same litle table (mesh top) I bought years ago with two chairs. I just painted all three in glossy black. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks terrific. I wish you happy times on your deck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! I have a glass table to spray as well, I'm on nervous cause I don't want to get it on the glass.
    Thanks for linking up at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw your post on Frugal Momx3...I totally love spray painting, too! It looks like you did a good job of it, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! The furniture color is great, don't you love that spray paint! I'm thinking of doing my backyard in similar shades, I'll have to send you pics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a table just like yours that needs a spray job...I think I will have a go now.
    Just completed a makeover of my deck
    http://www.creativeinchicago.com/2011/07/staining-deck-thats-gone-green.html
    Love to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails