Content from this blog now appears on www.michellerayburn.com

t

My Latest Art- Transformation...uh..Thursday.

Um, it's a little late for Transformation Tuesday. But if you don't mind, I'd like to squeak a Transformation Thursday in here (it will be almost Friday by the time I get it posted, but who's counting?)

Here's what I did with some of my stash of vintage windows. I love how they turned out! Between these and the ones I made last year, I had a nice little stash last weekend to take with me to a local craft show. I sold half of my inventory. Yay!

I started with plain window sashes. Some were really weathered, others weren't so much. So when they were all done, if they were too white and clean, I used a little tan glaze to make them look more aged.
I planned to use chalkboard paint and the can said it could be used on glass. But I was a little skeptical, so the first window, I primed with 123 Primer. But then, I noticed when I was putting on the chalkboard layer of paint, the primer was coming off, so the next windows I decided to just put the chalkboard pain straight on.
The French door was very old and it was peeling a lot, so I gave it a coat of poly to seal the paint just as it is.

After the WWYD Wednedsay challenge last week, I took your advice and left the top as it was after I had decoupaged paper to the back of the glass. I didn't add anything to the front.
I decoupaged paper to the backs of the top part of the window sash and painted chalkboard paint on the bottom. I tried different method for paint application. I found that a soft nylon brush worked just as well as a little foam roller.
 
 
 I decided to do some with chalkboard on both top and bottom.
 And some were solid glass, so I did the whole thing in chalkboard paint.
 Some were skinny little windows. Notice the cotton pouch hanging there? I sewed little pockets from cotton fabric and stuffed them with batting for erasers.
 The big French door is my favorite!
The paint can suggest conditioning the painted chalkboard surface by rubbing the side of the chalk over the whole thing and then erasing it. The surface can be washed too.

I used Rust-Oleum brand chalkboard paint in Black Flat. Chalkboard Paint can be used to create a usable chalkboard surface on metal, wood, masonry, drywall, plaster, glass, concrete, unglazed ceramic and hardboard surfaces that can be written upon and erased cleanly. This latex-base paint is easy to clean and is formulated to withstand the rigors of daily use.




1 comment:

  1. Your windows are all so pretty. Where do you find so many of them?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails