Content from this blog now appears on www.michellerayburn.com

t

Pottery Barn vs Thrift Store

Pottery Barn 3-Tier Server, Goodwill Style

I taught a craft class this past weekend and I thought I'd share the project on the blog. Since my budget fits Goodwill or flea markets much better than it fits the price of the treasures in the Pottery Barn catalog, it's necessary to figure out how to achieve the look at, well, 1/8th of the price if ever possible.

This 3-tier serving platter retails for $45 on the Pottery Barn website:

Photo from Pottery Barn catalog

Here's my knock-off version of the 3-tier platter:

I purchased the plates (the middle layer is actually a shallow bowl) for 75 cents each at the Goodwill store. Actually, they came to more like 63 cents each because I was able to purchase an entire set at 50% off if I bought it by the box. They were a white with a gold rim around the edge.

The plates are connected by taper candle holders which were available for $1 at my local dollar tree, and I found a few with 1/2 off tags at the thrift shop.

I used an all purpose cement to glue the layers together. I looked for a glue that was for porcelain or ceramic and for one that would dry in a quick amount of time after contact. I learned that hard way that super glue isn't the best since it clouds up, and my sample had a white film inside the candle holders, but it did hold well! At any rate,  you'll want to look for a glue that dries clear because that will prevent the clouding problem. The glue I chose was just $1 per tube in the paint/hardware department and it also claimed to be dishwasher safe, although I don't plan to put something as clunky as this into the dishwasher. Another friend made one this week and she used epoxy and said it worked well, so you have several glue options.

To assemble your plates, be sure all layers are clean and dry. Then layer by layer, glue around the rim of the candle holder (bottom or top) and stick them together. I eyeballed mine for being centered, but if you aren't sure your eyeballs are working right, you could measure and mark the centers.

I experimented a little with a clear plate and I liked that too! Instead of a plate on top, I glued on a candy dish on that one.




Total cost for the project, including glue--$4.89. That means it was 1/9th of the price of the Pottery Barn item. At more than $40 in savings, that's not too shabby!

This project is touring the web this week at:

Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
Reinvented's Trash to Treasure Tuesday
2nd Time Around Tuesday at A Picture is Worth 1000 Words
Just a Girl's "I Can Make That" Party
 DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land

The Inspired Room Beautiful Life Friday


18 comments:

  1. These are fabulous, Michelle! You know I love a good PB imitation. I think your stand have more character, and you can't beat the price! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! I really like the one with the crystal pieces! ...and you can't beat the price! You did a great job! ~Rhonda :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How smart. I love the knock off.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did such a nice job! These would be great gifts filled with cookies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job, if you can make it yourself, why not!
    Linda Q

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute. I NEED to make one of those. LOVE IT!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michelle,
    Love the way your project turned out.

    Thanks so much for linking to 2nd Time Around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Michelle, your three tiered plates are genius. Clever you. They look great. I use a glue that is called 6000. It is good too

    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job, and what a fabulous price! They look really cute.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. great job! that glue sounds like the stuff I need!

    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty! I like the clear one too-and I'll take Goodwill deals over PB any day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! I actually have some antique pie plates that I am going to do this too this weekend:) Stop on over for a visit!

    Blessings,
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super idea! I think I will need to steal it! I have 2 depression green candle holders that are different heights that should work perfect. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually like yours better!! Love the crystal look! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. yours are much nicer than the more expensive ones. These would make wonderful holiday gifts with homemade cookies or candies on them. You could even use some holiday themened plates which are probably only pennies per plate this time of year. Great job !!!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have made quite a few of these. They are so much fun to make and can be done easily and so cheaply!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails