Content from this blog now appears on www.michellerayburn.com

t

Faux Fireplace

I had always wanted a fireplace, but never owned a house with one. I’d also considered just putting up a mantel for ambience, and had seen mantels at salvage shops that were really cool, but none ever fit my budget. So, I decided to build one out of scrap lumber.
I happen to like power tools. A lot. So one evening, I went down in my workshop and scavenged through my scraps. Among the treasures I had stored away for future use (packrats triumph sometimes) I found a large old picture frame. It was the perfect size for the opening to a mantel.  Using that as my guide for size, I designed my mantel around it. Since it wasn’t going to be a functioning fireplace, thought it would be much more functional to make shelves on either side of the opening to display tchotchkes. 100_4432
I insisted on building it without any help from my husband, which means it isn’t perfectly square, plumb, or whatever precision is called. But that’s okay. I like it!
When we moved, I took my “fireplace” with me, the benefit of a faux fireplace.
I left the top unfastened and created a secret compartment inside the top which is perfect for hiding seasonal candles. For the finish, I painted it black, then painted a winter white over it allowing the black to streak through. I added some beige dry-brushing and let it all dry. Then I sanded the edges and random places to allow more black to show through. I used the router on the edges before assembling in order to give it more interest.100_4436
I stenciled on the front to look like carving. I painted the inside of the opening black and use a piece of uncut matting board (for picture framing) as the backing. After the black dried inside, I roughly painted a fire grate on the inside. 100_4435
100_4434  I have a couple of jars with tealights inside for when I want it to look like the fire is lit. The only way to make it safe is to have the tealights in tall jars! Finally, I added two pieces of marble that just stand freely on the floor in front of the mantel (purchased from building supply store). This makes it look more authentic too. 100_4438
For a long time, I searched for the right thing to hang over my mantel. Then I found this antique beveled mirror at a garage sale for less than $20. It’s HEAVY. I had to anchor it into the studs and it hangs by a heavy chain, but it was just the right thing. And even through the cherry color of the frame doesn’t match the mantel, it ties in with the built-in cabinets in the room.100_4437 I topped off the mirror with a garland of berries and rusty stars. 100_4439  I love projects that cost almost nothing, but give years of priceless enjoyment! By the way, my greatest compliment about this project was when our landlord stopped by for a routine inspection and suddenly his eyes widened. “When did you install a fireplace?” Lest he have a heart attack or evict us, I quickly reassured him that it was a free-standing piece of art. Hee, hee~


100_4433   
This post is on tour at these places on the web:










9 comments:

  1. i love it! it is perfect for the space and so realistic looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow by far the best thing i've seen in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job! This turned out so cute.

    Jennie @ Cinnaberry Suite

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a real fireplace in my bedroom, and it isn't even half as cute as that! LOVE IT, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umm that's pretty much the coolest idea I have ever seen. Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. The thing that most impresses me is that you came up with this idea yourself. I can copy ideas but can't come up with them on my own. This looks like something you'd see in a magazine or decorating book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the faux fire grate is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG ! I am so in love. This would be perfect for our California Mobile Home where head isn't needed too often. You are really a genius. I'm going to save this post and add it to my "bucket list." Thank you for sharing.
    Nan Hopple - La Habra, CA

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails